How to Obtain Birth Certificate, What is a Birth Certificate and Why is it Essential? The Legal Framework to get birth Certificate
What is a Birth Certificate and Why is it Essential?
A Birth Certificate is the most important identity document that makes it possible for anyone in possession of it to benefit from a gamut of services offered by the Indian Government to its citizens. It becomes necessary to obtain a Birth Certificate because it serves to establish the date and fact of one’s birth for a whole range of purposes, like acquiring the right to vote, admission to schools and to the Government Service, claiming the right to marry at the legally permissible age, settlement of inheritance and property rights, and obtaining Government-issued identity documents like a driving licence or passport.
The Legal Framework
In India, it is mandatory under the law (as per the Registration of Births & Deaths Act, 1969 (External website that opens in a new window) ) to register every birth/stillbirth with the concerned State/UT Government within 21 days of its occurrence. The Government accordingly has provided for a well-defined system for registration of Birth, with the Registrar General at the centre and the Chief Registrars in the States, running through district registrars to the village and town registrars at the periphery.
What You Need to Do
To apply for a Birth Certificate, you must first register the birth. The birth has to be registered with the concerned local authorities within 21 days of its occurrence, by filling up the form prescribed by the Registrar. Birth Certificate is then issued after verification with the actual records of the concerned hospital.
In case the birth has not been registered within the specified time of its occurrence, the certificate is issued after due police verification ordered by the revenue authorities.
- How to get Aadhaar card? Process of Aadhaar card Registration, Enrollment of Aadhaar Number, UID Card
- What is Essential Service Maintenance Act (ESMA) act? How it Works? Basic points under the ESMA Act, Instances when ESMA was invoked
- ESMA: Essential Services Maintenance Act (1981), what is ESMA GO 177 Act on Andhra Pradesh government employees
- Telangana will turn into a ‘Fire’, if ESMA (Essential Services Maintenance Act)
- What is Esma? What are essential services? Is ESMA proving to be ineffective?
Trackback URL | Comments RSS Feed
There are no comments yet. Why not be the first to speak your mind.